Friday, August 25, 2006

Sonnet IX

I alluded to the pedophile bike way back when, so now I will finally actually write a sonnet about it. The bike I am now using was Brad's ex-girlfriend's when she visited last summer. Maryn is about half my size, though, and apparently likes her bikes to be small, too. We refer to it as the pedophile bike because it looks like it should be ridden by an eight year old. Jessica pointed out that all it needs are those little streamers coming off of the handles to complete the whole theme. But, it works, and strangely enough, no one seems to want to steal it.

Jabberwocky 1

On bike with wheels the size of two hedgehogs
I'm quick as crawlies high on opium.
Three "gears" I shift, observers all agog;
No bursts of speed, nor any respite, come.

Whilst slogging over High Street I observe
The many pairs of eyes all looking on
In question or pity, I can't be sure.
Did I eat cake, or she drink some potion?

Although we appear a curious pair
I cannot deny our special friendship
As bravely over Queen's Lane she does bear
Me past mad coaches to go on train trips.

I can't believe when her chain was unclapped
No carpenters attempted a kidnap.

1. Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, both supposedly written for a little girl, attended Christ Church college in Oxford, like Jessica, and he was a don there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home