Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sonnet V


So this timeI wanted to introduce you to where I live - the Littlemore section of Oxford. I live in St. George's Manor (pictured), which sounds fancy (and is very nice - I swear) but used to be a mental hospital. Again, I must request you refrain from the obvious quips that are probably popping into your mind right now. Not surprisingly, there is still a working mental hospital across the street. In fact, just before I got here, one night Brad was awakened by one of the residents from across the street smashing the windshields of all of the cars in our parking lot with a blunt object. When that got tiresome, he came in the propped open main door of the complex (needless to say, it isn't left propped open anymore). He happened to come right up to our flat and sat there trying to bash in the front door. Jessica slept through the whole thing. And, as a note, I have been trying to run more here so the jogging path I usually follow is the towpath along the Thames. So here is a sonnet about Littlemore. And I hope it is not perceived as flip or callous about the very serious and soul-wrenching reality of mental illness because it is not at all meant to be offensive. It is just a sort of literary trope if you will spurred by my location.

The Faerie Queene

The Manor of St. George, this title's true?
The Madness of King George a name more apt,
For sirs we have: Quixote-like he slew,
But dragons slain in vain - all have hubcaps.

The facing hospital, our manor's twin
is known for fare - try friday's fish and chips. 1
I think the fish must purr in whispers thin;
"The pub will clear your mind," declare their lips. 2

Alas, I find I too fall under spells
When jogging down the path through fields so lush.
I see the sprites - they leap across bluebells,
by cows, down streams, up locks, in golden brush.

I think one reverie upon these shores
Would drive any to dream a little more.

1. One of Jess's friends told us to go have lunch in the hospital's cafeteria on Friday for fish and chips. He said its really tasty.
2. One time Jess had rounds in the hospital and later on she saw one of the patients at the pub down the street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home